Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Perfect Brownie?

I'm on a quest for the perfect brownie, so I've been trying out a few recipes. So far, my favorite is a variation on one I invented myself a few years ago. I'm not 100% sure its perfect, but I thought I'd post it here in case anyone needs a good brownie recipe (I can promise you, it's very good).
The Perfect Brownie?

1 1/3 sticks salted butter
1/2 c cocoa powder (I used Dutch process this time, although normally I don't)
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract (I prefer Mexican)
1/4 tsp almond extract
dash salt
2/3 c flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a medium-size microwaveable bowl, or over medium-low heat in a medium-size saucepan. Turn off heat and whisk in the other ingredients in order, making sure that the batter is smooth after each addition. Don't overmix once you've added the flour.

Pour into an 8x8 square pan lined with nonstick aluminum foil (Reynolds Release Wrap is the sine qua non of baking in my kitchen), or parchment would probably work too. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick inserted in the middle of the pan comes out almost clean.

These need to cool for an unusually long time before being cut, or they will fall apart into mush (sweet, delicious mush). Allow at least an hour for cooling, and cut carefully. Makes 16 very rich brownies.
I also think I've cobbled together the perfect pineapple upside down cake recipe, but that'll have to wait.

No comments: